swisspeace is a practice and research institute dedicated to advancing effective peacebuilding. It supports and advises local, national, and international actors relevant for peacebuilding, researches topics particularly relevant for peacebuilding practice, provides spaces for exchange and dialogue, and shapes peace policy in Switzerland and globally. swisspeace is an associated institute of the University of Basel.
To reinforce its Peacebuilding Analysis & Impact (PAI) team, swisspeace is looking for an
Associate Program Officer (80-100%)
Starting date: 1 June 2023 (or by agreement)
The Peacebuilding Analysis & Impact team is the methodology innovation hub of swisspeace. Our mission is to help our partners and clients to improve analysis, management, and learning processes to ultimately increase the effectiveness and positive impact of their work in conflict-affected contexts. We are at the forefront of advancing conflict sensitivity, conflict assessments and adaptive management both in research and policy as well as in institutional practice.
– Contribute to swisspeace’s work on conflict sensitivity, conflict analysis and adaptive management
– Support the successful implementation of ongoing mandates and projects geared towards increasing partner organisations’ and clients’ positive impact and reducing potential harm in conflict affected contexts.
– Assist in implementing capacity building measures and trainings
– Support the development of the swisspeace project portfolio and partnerships
– Masters’ degree in a relevant discipline (peace studies, international relations, political sciences, social sciences or similar disciplines)
– Strong interest in peacebuilding and the role of international aid in conflict transformation
– 1-2 years of experience in peacebuilding or in supporting the implementation of development projects in contexts of conflict and fragility. Field experience is a strong asset
– Knowledge of institutions working in peacebuilding or international aid
– Excellent analytical, writing, and communication skills
– Excellent spoken and written English. Fluency in French, Arabic, and German are assets
– Ability and willingness for international travel, including to conflict countries
– An explicit team player with an ability to deliver high-quality results under tight deadlines
– The possibility to shape an interesting entry position in an attractive field of work with political relevance
– A competitive gross annual salary as per experience of CHF 48,000 to CHF 55,000
– Attractive working conditions and flexible office hours in Basel
– A positive working atmosphere in a dynamic and international organization
Due to the Swiss regulations on the admission of foreign workers, only applicants with an existing Swiss work permit or citizenship of Switzerland or of an EU/EFTA state can be considered for this position.
We look forward to receiving your complete application in English, including motivation letter, CV, work certificates and diplomas by 19 March 2023. Interviews will take place from 27 March to 7 April 2023.
Please submit your application via our online portal. Other means of application will not be accepted. More information can be found at www.swisspeace.ch or received by telephone at +41 61 551 56 99.
T +41 61 551 56 99